Friday, December 4, 2009

Then I Got a Commission!!

Omygawd! I was very excited. A friend I used to work with decided he wanted a portrait of his niece, photographed as she was gazing through a telescope, with light streaming over her through a window. "Like Vermeer," my friend said. Well, I'm not quite up to that standard, so it'll be "like Kate," for better or worse.

I've recently refined my portrait technique, after years of hit-or-miss likenesses, off-kilter ratios and not quite right angles. Yes, I trace them first. I admit it. I get out my lightbox, print out the original photo from my computer at the appropriate size, and trace around the periphery of the face, with marks for placement of the eyes, nose, mouth, chin, and hairline. Then I turn off the lightbox, and fill in the features and the shading. So I'm confident that I can turn out a good portrait of anybody.

Here's the original of my friend's niece Alexandra:

















And here's the pencil version:



















What do you think? My friend is happy with it (he said he cherishes it, aww) so all is well. Plus I made $40!

Want a portrait of your own? Check out my BRAND-NEW shop on ArtFire at
http://www.artfire.com/users/KatesPencilPortraits

It's a sweet way to remember someone you love, and supports a worthy cottage industry (me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment